Main Place

Brandfort

Quick Fact
  • 3,134

  • 891

  • 11,7%

  • 69,1%

  • 85%

  • 69,5%

Brandfort was established on 30 October 1866, on the farm Keerom. The town was named after J H Brand (1823-1888), fourth President of the Republic. It is also claimed that the town got its name from the demise of a nearby fort which was burnt down. (GPS coordinates: 28.6945 S, 26.4545 E).

Character(s) left.
  • Raper PE. 2004. New dictionary of South African Place Names. Jonathan Ball Publishers.

Statistics South Africa (Stats SA) monitors the quality of the information available on this website and updates the information regularly. However, neither Stats SA nor the Stats SA Website Department (StatsOnline) guarantees, or accepts legal liability whatsoever arising from or connected to, the accuracy, reliability, currency or completeness of any material contained on this website or on any linked site.

Key Statistics 2011

Characteristics
Total population3,134
Young (0-14)23,7%
Working Age (15-64)64,9%
Elderly (65+)11,4%
Dependency ratio54
Sex ratio109,4
Population density116 persons/km2
No schooling aged 20+6%
Higher education aged 20+11,7%
Matric aged 20+34%
Number of households891
Average household size3
Female headed households28,3%
Formal dwellings73,7%
Housing owned/paying off55,6%
Flush toilet connected to sewerage69,5%
Weekly refuse removal63,5%
Piped water inside dwelling69,1%
Electricity for lighting85%

Place names

Masilonyana Municipality