Main Place

Jan Kempdorp

Quick Fact
  • 24,220

  • 6,167

  • 4%

  • 32,2%

  • 84,7%

  • 71,7%

Jan Kempdorp was originally named Andalusia, after the farm on which it was established. The town started to develop in 1938 and was proclaimed in 1953. It was then named after General Johannes C J Kemp, a former Minister of Lands. The town is located right on the border between two provinces, which originally caused confusion in terms of its administration. In 1964, however, it was decided that it would fall under the authority of the Cape (which is now the Northern Cape). (GPS coordinates: 27.9354 S, 24.807 E).

Character(s) left.
  • Raper PE. 2004. New dictionary of South African Place Names. Jonathan Ball Publishers.

Statistics South Africa (Stats SA) monitors the quality of the information available on this website and updates the information regularly. However, neither Stats SA nor the Stats SA Website Department (StatsOnline) guarantees, or accepts legal liability whatsoever arising from or connected to, the accuracy, reliability, currency or completeness of any material contained on this website or on any linked site.

Key Statistics 2011

Characteristics
Total population24,220
Young (0-14)32%
Working Age (15-64)62%
Elderly (65+)6%
Dependency ratio61,3
Sex ratio95,3
Population density1270 persons/km2
No schooling aged 20+19,2%
Higher education aged 20+4%
Matric aged 20+21,4%
Number of households6,167
Average household size3,9
Female headed households37%
Formal dwellings73,2%
Housing owned/paying off75%
Flush toilet connected to sewerage71,7%
Weekly refuse removal55,9%
Piped water inside dwelling32,2%
Electricity for lighting84,7%

Place names

Phokwane Municipality